Starting a Professional Residential Cleaning Service is not as hard as you may think. It’s mostly about knowing what you want and having a great strategy to go after it. In my opinion, just jump right in! Seems simple, right? It is. But, if you need a few instructions of how to start a maid service, here they are…FOR FREE!
For me, I did just that. I jumped right in and started my professional cleaning service. I just did the darn thing. I started my cleaning business over 25 years ago. And, 18 years ago, my wonderful husband joined me.
I just simply began cleaning. I didn’t have a business plan; I didn’t save money; I didn’t ask permission. It was what I wanted – and so I pursued it. I won’t go into detail about my story, because this post is for you. You can read more about my side hustle cleaning story right here.
As for you, my advice will be, umm, well, let’s see… JUST THE SAME. Just do it. Seriously, if you want to start a maid service, then do it.
Start off cleaning homes in your free time.
Clean for a family member or a close friend on the weekend or after/before your day job to test and see if you even like to clean. Even more, if you like to clean for other people.
What I’m about to tell you is just a suggestion, not a must. Clean a couple of your family and friends’ homes and see how it goes. If you tell them that you want the practice, just charge a small fee to cover your transportation costs and any supplies you bring. Or, barter services. After all, it’s just practice.
This practice of cleaning houses, will also help you to figure out a few things.
1. How you would like to charge, by the hour or by the job.
2. It will help you figure out what products you prefer to use, traditional or green.
3. Cleaning your family or friend’s homes will also help you decide if you really want to clean houses. Hahaha.
For real!! ‘Cause cleaning ain’t for everybody.
Once you’ve done this, Brainstorm!!! Think of how you want your business set up based upon this experience.
I would also suggest to clean 1 or 2 homes. That should be enough for you to make the following decisions.
1. Decide if you want a franchise. This will be a financial investment up front for sure. However, some franchises will care for a lot of other concerns you will have like training, cleaning methods, and marketing. If you want to start your maid service from scratch, you can do that as well – this way every decision is yours.
2. Where do you want to clean? Decide on demographics for your service area. Trust me, YOU DO NOT WANT TO WASTE TIME RUNNING ALL OVER YOUR TOWN. You will lose money in travel time. So, decide where you want to clean and concentrate growing your service in one area at a time. Then feel free to branch out.
Just remember this: Start Simple – Grow Smart.
3. There may be initial start-up costs for starting your residential cleaning service, even if you choose not to go with a franchise. The costs can be minimal but you will need some money for somethings.
4. Based upon your experience, determine what type of cleaning products you want to use. Traditional or green. It’s really left up to you. Honestly, you can do both.
Now that you have done some serious thinking AND you have made some serious decisions of how you want to start your professional maid service, here are a few more things to think about.
1. Think about why you’re starting a cleaning residential cleaning business. Seriously. Keeping your #1 goal top of mind will keep you inspired and motivated to move past any obstacles standing in your way.
2. Your business’ name. Something that describes you and your services. Something catchy like, “Making Homes Spotless Residential Cleaning Services”. In this day and age, SEO matters! You’ll want the word “cleaning”, or “maids”, or “clean” in you business’ name. You’ll thank me later😉.
2. This is just my opinion, but, lock down ALL social media accounts with your business’ name. You never know, but you just might want to use social media to grow and engage your cleaning service with your future customers. BUT, more importantly, check to see if the business name is registered already.
3. Set a budget. This budget will be for everything. Your start up costs and marketing. Be willing to adjust everything quarterly. Planning for your business every 12 weeks (quarterly) is ideal. Read this book, “The 12 Week Year”, by Brian P. Moran. It will help.
4. Develop a business plan and a marketing strategy. How do you want to move forward? How will you get your business in front of your customers? What about customer attraction?
5. Contact your local governing authorities to find out what licenses and insurances you need for your new maid service.
6. JUST DO IT!!!
If you need help brainstorming an SEO friendly cleaning business name, fill out the form below. We’ll give you 7 tips to finding a fantastic name for your professional residential cleaning service. AND, there’s a very special offer just for you if you’re looking to start your house cleaning business from scratch with little or no money!
Just start cleaning somewhere – something, for a house other than your own, to get a feel if owning a residential cleaning service is what you want. Brainstorm if you want to start a cleaning service business from scratch or franchise. Where you want to clean and what you want to clean with. ‘ Create a name, register it, and get the licensing and insurances if necessary. Also, lock in all social media accounts with your business name. Develop a budget along with a business and marketing plan. THIS is the realistic, simple, and practical way of how to start a maid service.
Wherever you see a successful business, someone once made a courageous decision.– Peter Drucker, management consultant and writer
Until Next Time,
If you liked this post, subscribe to our weekly newsletter by clicking here. We share all kinds of personal stories of the past 25 years in the professional cleaning service industry. They’ve got just the right spice and juice, like an Italian Beef, with sweet peppers, dipped from Buona Beef here in Chi-Town. 😉
One other thing we talk a lot about other than our 3 boys, love of traveling, eating good/ greasy food, and using ketchup to clean copper kitchen sinks is our love for not wasting your precious freaking time! Seriously, we’re not about that!
In fact, enter the FREE Deep Cleaning Challenge so that you won’t waste your precious freaking time only performing basic cleaning. Level up! Your customers will love you for it – so will your pockets!
So good to meet you. We’re glad you stopped by!